PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 18:21
captains_log

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MD80 Fanatic

Of all the items on an aircraft, the galley is nearly the last item I'd expect to still be floating after 16 days. Since it was, I am surprised there isn't more of this plane to be found within eyesight of this piece (subject to the exact same currents)?
Exactly my initial thoughts, we are all aware of the effects of an object of this mass hitting water at such velocity is comparable to hitting terra firma.
Some input from experienced investigators would be preferable, what's the PROBABLE result of:

1. Mid air break up/ high altitude
2. High velocity /high angle impact
3. Low velocity/low angle impact.

Due to my limited experience id rather not be shot down for making an uneducated speculation at how the galley has somehow been thrown clear or survived a potential heavy impact, at the same time it seems most of A/C sank. Otherwise we would of expected a considerable amount of boyant debris. With non boyant objects sinking.
Decomposition happens slower in water but bodies should eventually float. Surely they're contained in the A/C still? Surely some of the wheels stayed intact, that's alot of bouyancy.

Last edited by captains_log; 17th Jun 2009 at 18:24. Reason: addition