PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 18:13
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
md80fanatic;
More data brings exponentially more questions.
Yes it does, in terms of "how", but large chunks of intact wreckage, (especially the latest made available/linked to by DorianB) mean that there was not a high-speed collision with the water as was the case with SW111.

The airframe broke up sufficiently to permit large pieces to exit relatively free of damage from other large pieces. We do not know when or how this occurred. "Shrapnel" damage is visible on many of the large sections, which would be expected. The nature of these telltale markings may, with hard sleuthing, indicate something about a breakup pattern....or not.

With careful examination regarding any part number markings or with drawings, many of the collected parts' location in the airframe may be determined. At this point, very little can be known about location of anything we now have photos of.

I think we can say all this with some reliability now, but regarding airframe breakup we cannot answer the questions:

- At what altitude(s) did the initial breakup occur or was it upon contact with the sea?

- What broke free first? (Evidence of the horizontal stabilizer, wing parts and engine cowlings, (same honeycomb material) have not been found, nor have wheels, (I say this only because there is a photo of a bogie floating free in the Abijan accident discussed earlier in this thread - I realize this may be a smaller possibility here).

- When did the VS break free?

- The question of further ACARS data has been asked, but not answered.

- An far-fetched question might be asked about what, if anything, did satellites see at 02:14+ Z in terms of a flash or anything else unusual. Just haven't seen any comments re this.(dealt with below).

Last edited by PJ2; 17th Jun 2009 at 18:46.