PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni a good idea?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 18:00
citation89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest, only you can decide if it's worth it. I have been at uni 2 years doing a degree combined with training to fATPL standard. I have loved it and don't regret my decision. If I hadn't have done it, I'd now be sat with an fATPL, no degree and waiting for a Job. I understand the argument for a non aviation related degree, if you lose your medical, it's a better fall-back option for you. Then again, if you don't want to go to uni, I would say don't go, even if people tell you that you should.

In my opinion, in the current situation, Uni is a good option whatever course you choose, and when you finish, do your training and you should hopefully be coming out with a degree and an fATPL at a positive time. Also, uni is a fantastic experience and I would recommend it to anyone. You're still young and 3 years at uni wouldn't do you any harm, only good. It will build you as a person as it has to everyone I know, and this will help you through all you training and career.

So to sum up, do it if you want to do it, it wont make your career in aviation any worse, only better, but do a course that you would enjoy, not one you think you should do. If you enjoy basket weaving, do it! If you don't really want to go to uni, you just thinking of following the 'norm' then I'd personally say don't go.

C89