PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows 7 vs Linux
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 13:09
Guest 112233

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear StacyF

I too started with feisty fawn on a netbook - It installed without probs - The new version of Ubuntu ver 9.04 updated without problems on the unit - Wireless networking AES2 works well -

The fundamental issue with Unix in its various forms is that it still lacks the huge base of drivers for peripherals that the windows familty of Operating systems have accrued through time - Yes this position has improved a little, eg HP printer support and I have found that unix (kubuntu) runs faster on modest kit ( e g. an Atom powered Netbook) - Ubuntu install 8.10 can be far from streight forward. Google a search and you will see what I mean.

When Unix is as easy to install as Windows with a base of support modern perpherials, it will win.

Bottom line, unix seems to communicate with the system devices directly a bit like Dos 3.1 et al. and there in lies the problem. Who now wants to learn command line scripting ?

Unless manufacturers build the applets to run their kit - Windows drivers will prevail.

CAT III.

Last edited by Guest 112233; 17th Jun 2009 at 13:11. Reason: Clarification needed.