PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on reducing risk of mid-airs.
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 12:06
Fitter2

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
In the very long thread "Flying out of CAS IMC now dangerous?" which was started by myself a lot was made that the chances of collision with gliders in or out of IMC was negligable.

It was stated by a number of the gliding fraternity that a VMC glider collision would be between gliders only and NOT powered aircraft.

Ironically during the course of my thread a collision has occurred between a powered aircraft and a glider with tragic loss of life.

In my case the near collision was at between 5000 and 6000 feet in IMC. So where do we go from here?

There appears to be a reluctance to do anything and nothing but excuses by the gliding fraternity clinging onto unwarranted excemptions that gliders enjoy to what the rest of us have to comply with.
Pace, you have made your feelings clear on another thread.

I can find no statement there that a VMC collision WOULD be between glders, only that it was more probable.

Your concern was IMC, and to drag your arguments into an entirely different subject is (in my opinion) in poor taste. I understand the Tutor does not carry PCAS, and therefore carriage of Mode C/S (as you insist should be the case) would not have been useful.

'Unwarranted' is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. If you would like to reduce universal risk, entering into a discussion on affordable and effective traffic information systems (they exist but are deemed not acceptable by the regulatory authorities) would be (again in my opnion) a more rational approach. There has been much more than 'nothing but excuses' from other sections of the aviation community if you would only listen.