PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALAEA Leadership Change
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 12:05
600ft-lb

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thats it. I will only fly on Qantas.

Until I read these posts I didnt realise that all the other major world airlines were so unsafe because they are not maintained by Qantas.
No one said that, your remark is completely missing the point.

The whole background of Qantas engineering and Australian engineers in general is one of accountability and above all keeping it safe. This is now reinforced with the punitive measures now in place for knowingly breaching company policy and aviation law. When your employment is at stake you make damn sure you have your butt covered from every angle.

When you have a situation when 1 LAME is supervising and certifying for the tasks of 40-50+ people, how can you expect this 1 responsible person to keep his head above water at all times. Despite their best intentions, no doubt they are of a quality of a highest standard (you would hope so) there will be times that things are missed. It's a fact of human existence. Throw in profitability pressures of the MRO concerned, remuneration tied to OTP in the LAME contract, need I finish the sentence? Look at my Singapore example in my previous post in this thread.

As a side issue, yes the only major airline in Australia, that either flies in it or out of it, the only one that has major aircraft maintenance infrastructure is Qantas. When people buy a ticket on Qantas, the chaps in the middle east aren't getting paid, the chaps in Singapore aren't getting paid, the chaps in NZ aren't getting paid, its the workers in Australia getting paid, supporting local businesses and local economies along the way.

If people have a major issue with that fact, the idea that the dollars you are spending are not leaving the country especially in this day and age of China inc, then they really need to start looking at the bigger picture.