PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on reducing risk of mid-airs.
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 12:04
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

“There appears to be a reluctance to do anything and nothing but excuses by the gliding fraternity”

I am no longer a glider pilot, but I do understand gliding. I have experience of fitting Transponders in “low” electric aircraft. I was involved in the aircraft interoperability consultations (from an LAA POV) and am aware of the BGA’s case and the CAA reaction to it.

The only reluctance on this thread has been yours to listen. Transponders in the existing glider fleet are not going to happen. Had the glider in the collision recently had a transponder, it would, I suspect, have made no difference.

A workable anti collision system has been proposed and some of us are busy testing it. Had BOTH the aircraft in this tragic incident had FLARM and PCAS, I suggest it is most unlikely it would have happened. I am in touch with a manufacturer who has a prototype box which will provide collision avoidance for both FLARM and transponder aircraft. If my FLARM test is ok, I will give details on how to help this along.

Now, are you going to carry on winging, or help with a practical solution?

My thanks to Chris for testing my PCAS (has yours turned up now?) and for loaning me his FLARM.

Rod1