PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yes, I know you've heard it all before! Advice please!
Old 17th Jun 2009, 11:13
Captain_Bolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BHenderson- I have never actually thought of it like this, that is absolutely right, there is no point in flying fortnightly as I will only be paying for refresher lessons only...that would be a right waste of money.
Since your post- I have been looking at various gliding schools around the South East of England- it is far cheaper than powered aircraft. I think I may follow your plan of, powered aircraft during summer and gliders during term. Thanks’ for the great advice and eye opener!

Bambe- Thanks for the reply, after Uni I plan on getting a job in the I.T. industry just to build up funds, and then perhaps if I feel the same way about aviation, quit and get an ATPL...a very very risky move I think...
I did a bit of research and found that I kind of prefer modular training..I got a brochure from Oxford Aviation out of interest just to see how they do things. I quite like them..

Betpump5- Thank you for the very in-depth reply, I funnily enough kind of went through what you did. I knew I would never be a fast jet pilot after reading on the RAF website about asthma and potential pilots.
With regards to boredom- that is a scary thought at the back of my mind. Everyone on this forum has that passion when they are my age but then they get bored, so was it passion to begin with? I’m so afraid that I may leave a good job within the I.T. industry and become a pilot only to find out that within 5 years I get bored. I can’t just go back into I.T. again, nobody have me back! I guess I’ll reach the REAL crossroads when I have a job within I.T and I’ve built up the funds to finally become a pilot, will I actually go through with it? Stay tuned!

AndoniP-
Thanks for the reply, it is good to hear you’ve enjoyed your time within the I.T. industry, but it’s even more unfortunate to hear that you are getting bored of it! I’m definitely going to stay at University; I need that back up if my pilot dreams fail...
I hope I.T. isn’t that boring for me. I am however, slowly getting the hang of it...lol

AeroUK-
Thanks for the reply!
Before I try and become an airline pilot, of course there are some things I would like to do- and travelling as you mentioned is one of them.

Thank you all once again for the sincere words of advice.

Last edited by Captain_Bolt; 17th Jun 2009 at 11:15. Reason: spacing error.