PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Florida or UK
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 08:56
gla-lax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like you considered the US for my ppl but ended up doing it here. all the way through my ppl i got its better to do it in the uk than the states, thequality of the training isn't as good. i found that arguement weak as the CAA oversee the the schools in the states that you can get your jaa ppl.

the negatives for the states, TSA clearance and a visa which involves a visit to the us embassy in london or the consulate in belfast. 15hr days studying and flying (but not impossible to do)

the positives are as you said plus newer aircraft, brilliant weather and a huge saving on the costs.

the savings you made going to the states might have to be spent when you get back to the uk to get up to speed on UK atc and flying in the weather conditions we get here. atleast you will have more hours in your log book for the same spend and at the end of it be just as good as someone who did it here with less hours in their log book.

remember any school you talk to will tell you not to go to the states, they want your money. if only they would reduce their costs, cut their margin they would get more volume and start making money.

as for the NW a few good schools around blackpool but dont expect to get much change out of £150 per hr for a pa38 or a c152 with instructor (around £8000-£9000 with exams, medical and landing fees) or do it in the states for £5500 inc all the above and flights there and back.

if i had the choice again id go to the states but do the exams before i go that way i wouldn't be putting in study time and just enjoy the flying.

good luck whatever way you go.