PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Family member advice
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 06:15
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Can I just make the small point that your son is guilty of ignoring the most basic and common piece of advice given to teenagers concerning this career - you too G-FATTY. That is to study and do well at maths and a science subject. It doesn’t matter if you fail, it’s important, you keep on trying until you pass. As a teenager I had this advice very early on from careers advisors of which there is at least one of within each school/college in this country. If he hasn't had this advice or didn't pay particular attention to it, then I agree with one of the above posters, he definitely needs to talk to more people and start listening.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that without a good grade in maths you’re doomed, but it kind of sets the scene for a very unsound shortcut seeker mentality. He has 14 ATPL exams to come which are not easy. He should know at his age the importance of maths to an airline pilot and the fact that he has decided to just pass on this relatively simple hurdle will be probed into at his first assessment where recruiters apply different rules - "so you aint got any flying experience, what have you achieved then chuck?"

Also, as a result of this he will now be ineligible for 99% of so called sponsorship / mentored pilot schemes thereby automatically reducing his chances of finding work.

A lot of us on here are academically sound, young but at the same time mentally mature guys who worked for the first 5-10 years of our working lives saving up and working hard towards this career. Even we are finding it tough to get at least an interview. That is the sort of thing you’re son will be up against. Unless he has friends in high places.

You sound like one of those very reasonable Dads. Personally, I woud've had these sort of affairs decided for me even at the ripe old age of 20!

"Don't want to go college? Get the hell out of my house then!"
(A bit extreme but it probably would've worked)

Best of luck to you both.

Last edited by Superpilot; 22nd Jun 2009 at 15:58.