PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 05:40
selfin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TerraHertz
Publicly known ACARS messages originate from a June 4th (evening?) "French television station France2 produced the ACARS messages from the last minutes of the flight of the A330. The data was clear on screen and has since been reproduced here."

[...]

One thing I find a little odd. All the copies of the 'ACARS text' I can find are images, as opposed to plain text files. Also, someone has gone to the trouble of creating those images complete with faint alternate line shading, as if they are direct scans of line printer output on typical fan-fold tractor feed paper. Yet these are supposedly manual transcriptions, from the screen of a TV news item?
Guilty as charged . Refer to the first three pages of this thread. User Lemurian provided directions to the summary ACARS list on June 5th at 00:00 BST - the list appeared during the 20H France2 television programme on June 4th. At 00:20 BST Danny posted screenshots of the video. At 00:35 Re-Heat posted one enlarged screenshot. At 01:01 and 01:21 users Lemurian and vapilot2004 respectively posted an abridged summary of the screenshots. At 01:26 Machaca provided enlarged screenshots.

At 04:09 I posted a reproduction of the list. The reproduction was intended to be posted in raw text form however the formatting of text on this forum does not allow multiple spaces. On previewing the posting the presentation became stylistically distorted. The text was therefore placed into Pastebin and a screenshot was taken. This accounts for the alternate line shading. At about 16:00 - 17:00 I was sent a private message by two contributors drawing my attention to a single-digit typographical error in the ISIS report ATA section code. A corrected version was provided in lieu. Unfortunately numerous online fora took a copy of the erroneous version. I have privately contacted over a dozen distributors (including the NY Times) to bring their attention to the matter. Eurocockpit, IAG, Seattle PI, NYT and others have either already replaced the old version or are working on it.

Original video

The directions originally provided by Lemurian need to be updated (the archive provided in his aforementioned post only shows the past week's worth of 20H broadcasts.)
1. Go to L'info en vidéo - France Télévisions
2. From the left margin select the category JOURNAUX
3. Select subcategory Editions nationales
4. Select programme 20H
5. Select from the central window (which will be populated by daily editions of 20H broadcasts) the broadcast of June 4th.
The summary ACARS list is covered between (approximately) 4 minutes 30 seconds and 8 minutes in (continue watching the broadcast until the end of the 8 minute point.)

The posting on the third page of this forum will now be edited again to reinforce the fact that this is not an official list.