PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Must really JAA CPL training be made in same country as ATPL theory?
Old 17th Jun 2009, 00:12
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL Theory (Bristol Ground School, UK)
CPL flying (25 hrs) in UK
Assuming you'll live and work in the UK, then it'll be a UK JAA licence.
And assuming you don't, it'll still be a UK JAA licence (ask me how I know )

You may be able to get an exemption or transfer of the theory provided both the UK and Spanish CAAs agree.
Correct, that's it. Some countries do accept that sort of arrangement regularly (e.g., Finland, Greece, UK), others have been known to accept foreign sittings (from what I read here, Austria is one of them), yet others will never contemplate this sort of thing (France).

So to emphasise Whirly's point: it's technically possible to do what you suggest, but you have to do some legwork.

FWIW, I once met someone who had completed his theory in the UK and the flying bit in Spain. I'm not sure I would recommend it though, as you will end up with a Spanish licence, meaning that all your licence-related dealings will be with the DGAC. Now, I've never had any contact with them whatsoever so I can't speak from personal experience, but I know a couple dozen Spanish-licenced pilots and they all agree the DGAC is crap. There was even a thread in the Spanish section of Pprune a while ago discussing the various options to transfer their licences to other countries, and I know one pilot whose type rating had already expired by the time he received it from the DGAC.