PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Tutor / Glider Collision - Condolences Thread
Old 16th Jun 2009, 22:47
Pete R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP

Very sad to hear of this dreadful accident. I've known Mike since the very early 80's when he did my acceptance ride on CXX - an 8 hour epic over the N. Atlantic followed by a PAR to land over Findhorn Bay at 6 in the morning (Ah those were the days!) and Kath and I last saw him and Bev at the CXX reunion. He was without doubt one of the most respected and capable pilots I have had the honour to know. One of life's consumate professionals, a complete gentleman and a man of honour who also possessed a great sense of humour and a sharp dry wit. A true ambassador for the service, he will be sorely missed by all who knew him and this is a tragic end to a full career in RAF aviation. My deepest sympathy to Bev and family at this sorry time. I would also like to pass on my condolences to the family of the cadet who I know must also be suffering just as much at the moment. I also flew in the AEF and UAS world (indeed it was Mike who informed me of my promotion to take over the reins of "Scotland's Finest") and I realise what a fantastic and inspirational role these outfits fulfill week in week out. Rest in Peace My Friend.

PS I am unfortunately out of the country at the moment and would appreciate it if someone would PM me with details so I may write to Mike's family.