PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2009, 21:17
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BRS major expansion plans

It is North Somerset Council, although you'd be pushed to tell the difference as neither they nor B&NES are particularly supportive of the airport.

As bristolflyer points out, the planning applications have finally been submitted - over three years later than the timetable in the original master plan that was published in early 2006.

The computer generated graphics video of the proposals show a superb facility that I believe is estimated at around £150 million to build.

Press reports say the plans are designed to enable the airport to handle 10mppa by 2016, although a local tv report I saw suggested that the airport now believes that 2019 is more likely which confirms bristolflyer's post. The aim is to build in stages as passenger numbers increase.

It seems certain that North Somerset will not have the final say. If the planning applications are not called in for a public enquiry there will undoubtedly be appeals against the council's decision, whether by the airport or the objectors, depending which way the council comes down. There could also be applications for a judicial review on any decision the secretary of state might make after a public enquiry.

A planning expert on the local telly news this evening reckons the planning process might drag out for up to four years.

At least the current drop in passenger numbers will give a bit more breathing space and the western walkway should be completed by next March (general permitted development) which will also help the passenger experience a bit. I note some of the stands on the western apron have been re-positioned to face north, presumably to fit in with the walkway. I read a report that the walkway is to cost over £7 million.

So the whistle has been blown and the game finally started...........................