PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows 7 vs Linux
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2009, 20:54
SoundBarrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows 7 vs Linux

Hehehe I lift my can opener to open this here can of worms....

Well any "MS Windows" thing really can now be replaced, in my meagre experience, by Linux. Of course for the uninitiated the huge list of available distributions is daunting.

For some time I was using good ole Unbuntu. I now use Linux Mint (a derivative of Ubuntu).

Firstly on my laptop it installed in 7 steps, all of which were simple, name, password, where are you type things. On reboot I was ready to go with Open Office and most tools I needed straight off the bat. Even connection to my wireless was painless, all I needed was to supply a password!

For the same laptop, I struggled with drivers when installing Windows XP/VISTA/7. Not fun at all.

In Linux I have all applications I wish to use, an accounting package, Office Package, Skype and more!

I have worked through the family slowly replacing their (otherwise appropriated) OS's with Linux and the adults and kids find it easy enough to use and rave about it's reliability.

So why go MS?
In Windows 7 they've changed the names of most things, the location of most applications and all round make a huge interface change. All for the worse in my opinion. Especially for the less experienced user who used to "Add/Remove Programs" and now has to look for "Programs and Features" Pah.

Imagine doing that with an aircraft interface...
OK, this version of the C182 is going to have a Light Blue knob for the mixture and a ddep red for the throttle. And the flap lever is now located in the baggage compartment and also the aircraft will automaically talk to ATC on your behalf with your intentions (even if you don't have any!)