PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2009, 20:47
jungle drums

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elt & Cvr/fdr

1. Has there been any more recent information from the naval resources trying to listen to the signals coming from the AF 447 ELT/CVR/FDR? Should not a reasonable point of impact (within 100nm box) be calculable from the debris field locations? I hope so at 100hrs/4 days to scan each 100sq/nm? A rough guess at roughly 10kts...

2. Is there equipment out there which is capable of scanning the sea bed for relatively small metallic objects (magnetic anomolies such as an aircraft's airframe or engines)? Or does it have to be Titanic size?
And if so, at what sort of range?
Perhaps these sort of questions can't be answered directly for military reasons. A pity that SOSUS has already been negated.

3. Why is stated in this thread that there was possibly no Standby Attitude available (is it called ISUS in the Airbus A330?)? A Standby AI has saved my life after a lightning strike in a TS. I would think that if the airframe is intact and any attitude indication is available, then an aircraft should be basically controllable irrespective of erroneous airspeed indication. Yes, in any case of an ADC failure it takes a cool head to ignore all the BS (overspeed and underspeed/stall warnings) and set a reasonable attitude and power. But as we are all trained - attitude + power = performance.

That leads me to ask - is the A330 Standby AI display a mechanical/analogue or digital/electrical one? (With my limited, but quite frightening experience in TS and lightning, I guess that I have now have a psychological preference for the non-electrical mechanical/analogue standby AI).