PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2009, 20:43
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dutch Bru;
You said:
PJ2, with respect for your posts in general, your questions about the mobile crew rest area on the 330 has already been dealt with elsewhere in this thread. Post nr 773 and subsequently (perhaps deleted inputs) from colleagues to confirm that A330 mobile rest area come in the form of a LD6 container is normally located below deck on the hight of the 3L/R doors, aft of the wings.
Re " your posts in general"...what about them? I comment on a lot of items and raised the crew rest location once, so not sure what "my posts in general" means. Here's what I posted on June 09, which includes the information you repeat above:
Originally Posted by PJ2, Post#1008
I might observe that the "CREW REST" wreckage may likely be from the F/A crew rest module, not the cockpit crew rest area. I say this because the cockpit crew area is not labeled, it generally being near the cockpit. But the F/A module is, in some cases, removable and as such, labeling makes a bit more sense, (when stored...not when 'in use'). The location of this module varies with airline - some are mid-wing, others near the tail section; to the best of my knowledge, all such modules are below the main cabin floor.
I thought you said somewhere you were current on the 330
You clearly haven't read many of my posts so let me help you out:
Originally Posted by PJ2, Post#1637
I have flown 18,000+hrs since 1967 and have flown as captain and as an A320 instructor, 319s, 320s, 330s and 340s since 1992, (I'm now retired) and even with that background I do not consider myself beyond learning, (fearing to go where angels tread), am not an IT or structural engineer, but I know a thing or two about flight safety work and about the Airbus (and other types, B767, B727, L1011, DC8, DC9).
I am indeed recently retired, not current on anything at the moment. Up until a short time ago I was active in the areas under discussion, (flight data analysis, writing Airbus A330 CBT training modules). I make the fact that I am retired clear on a regular basis so that people understand I am not writing from current experience but still have something to contribute to the dialogue. And finally,

Originally Posted by Dutch Bru in response to ELAC
Appreciate your views, but the AF447 photo material as discussed in previous posts confirm that the flight in question was carrying a mobile rest area below deck aft of the wing section
Maybe, maybe not - where'd you get the info from? BTW, are we to get stuck on this minutae as well?

ELAC;
Being current on one carrier's aircraft won't tell you how another carrier has chosen to configure such items.
Precisely - shoulda said that but didn't think it necessary at the time - guess it was.

LiSaigon;
That may have been for Flight Attendants only
Yes, almost certainly.

Cockpit crew rest is described in another post here in this discussion; a J-seat with a velcroed-curtain instead of a dedicated rest cubicle - it's all about cost and real-estate.

I know of no cockpit crew rest installations which are not near the cockpit. I have seen one option when in the cutting-metal stage for cockpit crew rest facilities below the tail where the F/A's facility was also located and it was rejected out of hand by the pilots association, for what ought to be, (but I take nothing for granted on this thread), obvious reasons.

Last edited by PJ2; 16th Jun 2009 at 21:04.