PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Money problems half way.. Now what?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2009, 19:45
vlieger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work

I have a similar problem and my solution is to work like a maniac to raise as much money as possible. I'm lucky to be working freelance so I can work when I want and it pays relatively well. Simple, but it works, even on an integrated course -- during my ATPL exams I still had loads of time and still scored in the high 90's average. You may be able to find something similar which you can do off and on. I planned this in advance and even changed careers in order to get that flexibility and I'm really glad I did as I am spending more than expected, hence the need to step up to the plate and minimise that debt -- that is the main thing.
My FTO was also understanding so I could delay payments by a few months.
As a sidenote, this is the thing that annoys me when the resident cynics talk about McDonalds recruiting. Some of us had careers before joining an expensive integrated course so we can always go back to that. I am already assuming the worst, i.e. not to get a pilot job after one year of graduation, but in my case I would just do what I did before: work my arse off and get rid of the small debt I incurred. (yes, not everyone is so foolish to borrow over 50k, some of us actually saved hard for years)

Last edited by vlieger; 19th Nov 2010 at 10:41. Reason: added a paragraph