PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New airspace: Dick Smith
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2002, 12:15
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I would have to agree with anyone who says NDBs have seen their day...it's probably time to consign them into the history books alongside VAR and aural null homing...but that doesn't mean replace them with nothing, or merely put in GPS approaches instead.

This goes to my point about scattering a bunch more VOR/DMEs around...they should be in place instead of NDBs...and you can have a backup GPSNPA as well.

Even Indonesia has a system built virtually entirely around VHF navigational equipment...I cannot remember the last time in Asia I used an NDB...other than for a renewal of my rating.

I think that having an aerodrome only serviced by a GPSNPA, with no terrestrial navaids as backup must surely impact safety, when you consider who owns the said satelites....it aint Oz!

If the Pollies, Toller, Smith and whomever are serious about safety they'll do the following;

1/. The Government MUST acknowledge their constitutional responsibilties for the provision of basic infrastructure....free in recognition of it's essential contribution to the Australian economy. This would include Better radar coverage, more ATC/FS officers with less frequency sharing.

2/. CASA/ASA or whatever they call them next must have as part of their mandate the nurturing of a healthy Industry.

3/. Part of 2/. above is to ensure, via industry oversight, that non performers or bad apples are weeded out, but in an entirely fair and transparent manner. That new entrants to the industry in whatever discipline meet high standards...that means set the exams and flight tests at a reasonable level of difficulty/standard and fail anybody who doesn't meet them...repeatedly if need be until they ****** off and find something else that they are more suited too. That means more Examiners out in the field, more ATOs and a National Standard that leaves little room for fancifull interpretation. It goes without saying that theory/practical exams must be 'real world' and not some of the drivel that we have had to learn and discard up 'till now.

4/. Taxation of essential components like capital equipment(aircraft etc) spares, fuel etc are in line with what a viable industry can afford. Cost recovery on top of a myriad of taxes is unacceptable.

5/. Industry involved in technical innovation, aircraft/engine/fuel design & production must be extended Govt assistance in whatever way is deemed appropriate...anybody remember Victa Now tell me that wouldn't have been better than god knows how many millions flowing to the US for the purchase of numerous C152s, Piper and Beechcraft trainers.

7/. All taxes, levies, user charges, airways/nav charges etc to be put in a fully accountable Govt Trust Fund, like the one in the US, and set aside for maintaining and upgrading services to the industry.

8/. NO MORE SELLING OFF THE FARM TO PRIVATE ENTERPRISE. Privatization benefits no-one except a very few who have so much money they don't need any help anyway...if the last 20 years have proven nothing else it's proven that.

After all of the above we may even have an industry & system to be proud of...instead of the $hitfight we are meandering around at present.

Chuck.

PS. I went back to my last post, after a few hours cool off, and re read it thinking it was too much of a rant and might need to be culled. I decided to leave it as is.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 20th May 2002 at 12:20.