PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Performance
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2009, 15:59
Pugilistic Animus

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Seejonfly, sorry I've been too tied up in personal matters to look at pprune,...I perfectly understand the stupidity of ground vehicle drivers,..so I hope all is well get better

now back to business

---in my view many of these items have been discussed thoroughly on pprune in the context of various operational problems encountered by pilots regarding performance however in light of the teaching and performance engineering aspects [and I'm in 100% agreement that it needs further exploration in flight training curricula], I'm not saying it's not worth discussing again and again,...and the question you've submitted to pprune are exactly some of the issues that need to be explained much better and currently pilot texts fall hopelessly short ---even the 'official' FAA stuff---of approaching the subject correctly,

Mutt, Old Smokey, and John Tullamarine are all experienced performance engineers; who I'm sure share your concerns [I'm not but I'm no slouch with the subject] and perhaps a search of Pprune will be highly enlightening as to the type of questions that pilots generally ask

but, also I'm sure that the aforementioned gentlemen would be glad to direct you to areas of this vast subject that tend to cause operational confusion

but from my experience and education gained from Pprune they mostly concern
1. the segmented takeoff wrt to runway geometry
2. obstacle clearance and OEI flight paths [engine failure charts/procedures]
3. the derivation and limitations and uses of operational speeds V1, VR, V2
4. derated and FLEX or ATM takeoff
5. wet and contaminated runways
6. the limitations of FMC derived speeds
7.the Unbalanced field [which relates to item 1]

again sorry for the delay, I hope the accident was comparatively minor, and of course feel free to PM me if you wish

PA