PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2009, 12:12
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC

No - not beyond "reasonable doubt" but beyond any doubt whatsoever.

If I may quote from the words of Lord Glenarthur in the House of Lords debate on 5 November 2002. His Lordship had spent 5 years in the Army flying helicopters and 6 years with British Airways Helicopters. He had spent 10 years as Chairman of the British Helicopter Advisory Board and had also been Chairman of the European Helicopter Association. He had, in addition, for several years been Chairman of the International Federation of Helicopter Associations. He is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, was on the Council of the Air League, and is a Liveryman of the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators.

"When we talk about military aircraft, it is important always to remember that we are concerned with disciplined Services, where rules are to be obeyed unless there is a very good operational reason for doing otherwise. By no stretch of the imagination can I, or very many others to whom I have spoken, conceive of any reason for flying a large helicopter, with or without passengers, at speed and at low level into doubtful visual meteorological conditions, probably breaching them, and entering cloud while approaching land from the sea, below Minimum Safe Altitude. It is, frankly, incredible; it exhibits a lack of attention to the concept of airmanship which is, or should be, dinned into the minds of all Military and Civil pilots throughout their flying careers."

I would agree with every word of that quotation (although I may have been a bit more blunt than his Lordship - if only for Shy Torque's edification).