PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yes, I know you've heard it all before! Advice please!
Old 16th Jun 2009, 10:37
betpump5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossroads at 19 Kids grow up fast these days.

Well done though for deciding NOT to train now. Even if there was no financial crisis, starting to train after A-Levels (i.e 18/19) is far too early. You just do not know whether you really want to be a pilot or whether it is purely just a kids dream you have always had.

I wanted to join the RAF 1 second after I watched Top Gun. At 13 when I joined the Air Cadets, I quickly realised that even though I ran for Essex county, my asthma would mean I would never be an air force pilot

Having a dad as a pilot at the time (even though he had been made redundant twice) meant the flying bug was always there. Had a PPL at 17, hours building during last year of A levels. Full time mod for the CPL/IR ME and a RHS on a 732 at just over 19 and a half. Now I am starting to feel the boredom at the tender age of 29. I often wonder what would have happened if I gained some life experience. Perhaps Uni, maybe a completely different job first after A-Levels.

Anyhoo I digress with my musings. I have just written on another post that if you do want to train, forget about going integrated (regardless if you can afford it or not). You will be ready in 12-14 months time - the industry will not.

Go to university is a definite. Good that it is not Aviation related. IT is something that will be around forever. A great fall back. If you get 1 year in industry during your course, you may actually wish to put off flying for a bit. During that time, you could save shed loads in IT and if you still wanted to be a pilot, you could even go integrated without a penny of debt!

This is exactly what I want to see if I had the power to change the face of Airline Pilot recruiting. Starting professional flight training at 19 is just not right in my personal opinion.

P.S When I mention a little boredom, I don't want to make it sound like everyone has this after 10 years of flying. I have many possible reasons why I feel like I do. Maybe I still pine for the excitement that would have been if I went into the RAF. Perhaps the fact that I've been 'monitoring' the 744 on 10 hour+ flights since I was 25 adds to the boredom. Without doubt Take-off is still the most exhilarating part of flying and I am certainly jealous of my fellow SH aviators who get to T/O and land 4 times a day!