PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F/I's with PPLS
Thread: F/I's with PPLS
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2002, 10:01
Icarus2001

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts
This used to happen in the UK, I don't know if it still does.

We already have gliding instructors in that position.

Go to page 155 paragraph 1.6.......which says that although PPL holders will be permitted to have an Instructor Rating, the ICAO knowledge standard and aeronautical experience for a CPL will apply.

Remember that at present an ab initio student can gain a CPL in 150 hours, then do the 50 hour Instructor course and voila a 200 hour Grade 3 Instructor.

Now what about a PPL holder with 500 hours, lots of multi and good a knowledge base. All they have to do at present to gain a CPL is the theory exams and be recommended for a flight test, there is no course of training required, so provided they meet the hour minimums eg IF etc then they go for a fly with the CFI who says "that was great I hereby recommend you for your CPL test".

The proposal also says that there will be a no remuneration prohibition on PPL Instructors.

If the PPL holder has demonstrated the skills to gain an Instructor rating why shouldn't they? The big BUT is that it devalues career FIs and unscrupulous operators will run flying schools using PPL holders.

Last edited by Icarus2001; 20th May 2002 at 10:15.