PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2009, 21:40
einhverfr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@DC-ATE:

I actually see FBW as being driven by something else entirely: need to save weight and reduce operating expenses.

I don't know of anyone who prefers to fly on an A330 vs a B747 just because the A330 is a more recent model. People choose the flights. Then the airline chooses the plane to match the flight.

One funny experience though flying from Denpasar to Jakarta a couple years ago on Merpati Airlines (shortly before Indonesia tightened age limits on commercial airplanes)... The plane B737) was really late. We got on the plane and I looked out the window. Then I said to my wife, "This plane is older than I am." I knew this because the engines were simple turbojet engines with no fan bypass. It was a different experience than I was used to also. Much more smooth acceleration (probably because turbofan engines provide much more thrust at slow speeds).

FBW is the future. That is fine. But I don't think anyone is in a hurry to retire serviceable, airworthy, and legal airplanes just because a new technology comes out.