PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2009, 20:09
WhyIsThereAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How are AirBus rudder pedals set up?

This is a question from the unknowledgable trying to obtain knowledge by asking those who know. An explanation or a pointer to some available document would be greatly appreciated.

In the kinds of planes I know about the rudder pedals are pretty much at the ends of your legs, and you adjust them so you comfortably have full rudder travel even with the sholder harness and belt tightened.

But I've read here that transport pilots only use the rudder on takeoff and landing, and at any other point using the rudder is stupid and dangerous; you only use ailerons. (If this is incorrect I'd appreciate enlightenment, but I've read this in basically these words at least 3 times in this thread.)

If you don't use the rudder in cruise, are you still using the pedals as footrests? Do you have other footrests you can use instead? Is there a pedal disable button to turn them into footrests?

I'm sure from the kind of responses I see here to questions that many people will read this question as pushing some agenda and get angry about it. I'm not pushing an agenda. I'm asking what you do with your feet in cruise to make sure you don't input rudder movements. Is there anytihng in the design of the cabin and controls to help you, or do you just have to be consious to never move your feet? This isn't a problem with toy planes, because you most often do use the rudder in them.

Thanks, and have a nice day!