PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatigue & journo asking for info
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2009, 18:38
Jetset320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My company has recently revised FTLs, reflecting the extentions that the local Authority has recently approved (after consultation with the National carrier).

Now a two-man crew can operate up to 13 hours for morning flights and the previous 30 min post-flight is no longer included in the FDP. In-one fell-swoop, 1 hour 30 mins were added to FTLs.

If it is a night flight FTLs are lower...... but not by much, however as a loop-hole, augmented crews are allowed, HOWEVER unless the flight is over 12 hours, no rest facilities are provided. (some rest one gets on the jumpseat ).

Should the flight be longer than 12 hours (and at night) then the company has to give one economy seat for augmented crew to get his/her 'rest'. This seat is at the very back, and does not even recline, is 50 cm from the toilet electric flushing and is precicely where toilet queue gathers, with curious and surprised pax, always passing their usual comments ("who's flying the plane?")

Just last week I had a two sector 11 hour (duty) red-eye flight, which for a matter of minutes was just two-man crew, and on return, towards top of decent, at something like 8am, I just could not keep my eyes open. I had rested the afternoon before, and felt OK for both departures, so what should I have done? Inflight diversion? That would have woken me up!

Oh, and after a flight like that one needs a local night off. That means duty at 8am, which means getting up at 6am. Now thats quality rest for you, init?

Last edited by Jetset320; 15th Jun 2009 at 18:51.