PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2009, 15:16
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"
For example; was the wreckage in a localised area or spread over 10s of miles ? If it was in one place, was the recovered debris so disrupted as to indicate a very high speed impact ? or a slow speed ditching ? Were there indications of the angle at which the aeroplane hit the water."

Dave, the evidence so far is that all bodies recovered so far have been in two distinct 'zones', at least 50nms. apart.

Of course, currents and winds can do extraordinary things - especially in mid-Atlantic. But the evidence so far indicates that the aeroplane broke in half at high altitude. Say a 75% probability.

Additionally, according to the pathologists, none of the dead recovered so far drowned. Nor had any of them inhaled smoke. Which tends largely to rule out the aeroplane crashing into the sea intact, and also any sort of bomb........

I tend to think that the pathologists are being a bit reticent. Not because of a cover-up, but out of consideration for the relatives. Ever since the Comet crashes in the 1950s, it's been known that there are two signs that 'shout' explosive decompression - skull fractures and 'all four' fractures - meaning both legs and both arms. No news on skulls yet, but the path. guys say plenty of 'all fours.'

To make my own position clear - I've always done 'bits' of all kinds of things. Like flying. But one thing I had to do for years (to my cost, in emotional terms) was to investigate fatal accidents in industry. Take my word for it, it's utterly harrowing.........

So all I hope and pray for (literally) is that 'they' find out what happened to AF447 in quick time.

Because I guess that all but the least imaginative among us realise that, as we stand, the exact same thing could happen again tomorrow.......