PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2009, 14:27
DC-ATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Desertia -
.....one thing I would like to say, having been in the IT field in a variety of positions over the years, is that you cannot underestimate the risk of human error, or at least limitations in putting together the millions of line of code required to automate something as complex as flight.
I remain of the opinion that, irrespective of the causes of this accident, I would still rather an experienced pilot have a piece of wire or hydraulics controlling the various surfaces under unusual conditions than having one or more computers trying to work it out.
Artificial intelligence still does not - and probably will not for decades to come, unless there is a magnificent leap in technology - mirror the ability of the human brain to eschew logic and do what thousands of hours of flying, and experience of abnormal circumstances allow, which is, for want of a better word, THINK.
Very well put and, I'm sure there are countless pilots that feel the same way. I for one. Once again, I fear computers have played a part in a tragedy.