PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2009, 13:36
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I remain of the opinion that, irrespective of the causes of this accident, I would still rather an experienced pilot have a piece of wire or hydraulics controlling the various surfaces under unusual conditions than having one or more computers trying to work it out.

"Artificial intelligence still does not - and probably will not for decades to come, unless there is a magnificent leap in technology - mirror the ability of the human brain to eschew logic and do what thousands of hours of flying, and experience of abnormal circumstances allow, which is, for want of a better word, THINK."
Truly great comment, IMO, Desertia.

Can't help it, but whenever the subject of computerised flying controls comes up it puts me in mind of a programmer who has never learned to ride a bike trying to program one that would work automatically.

One can imagine the programmer saying to his cyclist adviser, "About turns, I'm not clear about them yet. If someone wants to turn, do they turn the handlebars first, or lean over first........?"

Flying has always been a mixture of art and science. Ever since 1903......

No way you can boil the whole thing down to a mere computer program. Not in ALL possible situations, anyway.