PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Attack On A Police Helicopter
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2009, 12:33
HeliCraig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do seem to have ruffled some feathers - I'll address some points if I can:

Originally Posted by SiloeSid
Glad you've seen it now! "around"
Brilliant, lets rely on semantics. So, if there is a fight in the terminal, or some protesters on the runway, who do BHX call? Face up to the fact that WMP are responsible for prevention / detection of crime at BHX. Yes, security of the site itself is the responsbility of BHX, but even that is most likely in conjunction with WMP.

Originally Posted by volrider
So Helicraig, I park my new car in a secure carpark that states it has aprivate security firm that does regular patrols etc, it gets torched and I sit and think "Oh well its my fault".... Yeah Ok...I wonder if you had not had a bad experience with the police would you still argue the point so much?
Of course I wouldn't think that. I have also not said that it is WMP's fault their helicopter got torched, I have said that their assessment of the risk was faulty.

If that same sign from your analogy had a large copy of a press article highlighting how bad the security has been in the recent past and I still chose to park there, then I at least can't say I didn't know the risk. BHX security was subject to numerous press articles and an entire 30 documentary on prime time television. Also, my car isn't a high profile anti criminal asset and as far as I am aware I haven't acquired any "enemies" with grudges to bear (except perhaps you & Sid maybe! ). It all about the risk assessment... it must have been wrong for this to happen so easily.

Of course the Police Helicopter is always available 24/7 for life saving flights if needed, anywhere in the region in addition to the Air Ambulances if the numbers of casualties require it. Don't forget Air Ambulances can go u/s sometimes and incidents can have multiple life threatening injuries!
If all else fails, bring emotions and fear back in to it? Good plan. Lets not even start the debate about why HEMS don't fly at night shall we?

I hope the finger waggers here (if the cap fits) are now happy and feeling safer in their smug little world now they don't have the 24/7 out of hours cover.
Not sure if this is aimed at me or not. For the record though, I am wagging my finger only at the risk assessment and security provided. I do not feel safer, quite the contrary. As I said earlier, it was a very bad day for us all.

Originally Posted by NamibFox
What will you tolerate? Should criminals be allowed to burn your local police station, because you have had a run in with the police and feel hard done by (rightly or wrongly)?
No. I have not at any point said what happened was right, or good. I have said the exact opposite. And my run in with two traffic cops has little to do with it.

Originally Posted by Fortyodd2
The Warwickshire heli does exist and lives in the same hangar as the Leicestershire and Northamptonshire heli.
That was Sid's point, I believe.