PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways - puzzles and mysteries
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2009, 11:04
Gibon2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qatar Airways - puzzles and mysteries

Just back from a trip from Geneva to Manila, via Doha on Qatar Airways economy class. On the whole, by cattle class standards, a pretty good experience: reasonable legroom, comfortable seats, efficient and courteous service from friendly cabin crew, food mostly very good, all flights on time. This is clearly an airline with a future. But I have some questions, if any QR folks here would care to comment:

1. On the flight from Manila to Doha (a 777-300ER), I was assigned seat 5A. This turned out to be a business-class seat - but it wasn't an upgrade as such, it just seemed that they'd decided to fill one of the business class cabins with eco passengers. We got the eco meals and service, etc. No complaints at all - it was very pleasant, and the seat and space are all I'm interested in in business class anyway - but I'm wondering if this is standard practice on some routes, if it's possible to know in advance, and how they decide who gets the nice seats?

2. What's the story with Doha airport? I mean, seriously, what is that about? No airbridges, and for some reason the long-haul planes are parked on the far side of the main runway, necessitating an interminable bus trip all the way around the end and back again. The terminal, with no planes nearby, resembles a lonely shopping mall in the desert - only without the shops. More like a glass and steel bus station. All gleaming and new, except for the toilets which are battered, cracked and filthy. Why? Why spend billions on shiny planes, excellent staff, global route network, etc - and have that miserable shed at the centre of it all?

3. The IFE wasn't working at all for the Manila-Doha flight. I don't care, because I generally prefer to read or sleep, but I have to wonder about the economics of the thing. This is not just QR - it seems that on every carrier with AVOD, there are major problems on every third or fourth flight. Is it worth it? Are the manufacturers being battered by lawsuits? Has the technology just been stretched too far?

4. The flight from Doha back to Geneva was on an A319 (on the way out it had been an A330). Is this common? If so, please reconsider - 6.5 hours is way too long to be cooped up in one of those, no matter how good the service.

Thanks for any comments.