PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2009, 10:05
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD-EE - I am not a composites expert, and neither am I making any claims - I merely stated a personal opinion, that composites appear to rely on the resins for the composite material behaviour and abilities.

One has to examine all facets of a disaster, to improve knowledge. There are obviously, real, current reservations, about the effects of aging, long-term UV exposure, and contamination by fluids and other chemicals on composites durability and strength.
One thing I find rather amazing, and to me, quite simplistic - is the "tap" test on composites, to determine if internal de-lamination has occurred. One would think, that with aircraft, a much more sophisticated examination process would already be in place.

The following Airbus composites testing conference paper looks very impressive - but the testing appears to lack at least two (vital, I would have thought) additional features - the effects of UV aging, and chemical and fluid contamination on the composites, at the same time as destructive testing was taking place.

As we all well know, laboratory and factory testing is excellent in many applications - but rarely, does it take the place of actual in-field service, with all its additional factors that cannot always be considered, in a lab and engineering planning environment.
I notice that Eurostar (by Evektor), along with other manufacturers, insist that their metal frame is still superior to composites.

New Scientist article - Composite aircraft may hide dangerous flaws - tech - 22 November 2007 - New Scientist

Airbus Composite testing conference (2004) - http://www.aer.bris.ac.uk/comptest20...mptest_109.pdf