PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2009, 01:13
EMIT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JD-EE, pot #1544 and on.

Your concern about turbulence bumping the stick, with or without hand attached, around so much that the inputs would be enough to exceed aircraft structural limits ? NO WAY.

Side stick steering is accurate enough to keep an F-16 aimed within a few mils of a target, while flying at 500 kts at low level in very bumpy conditions (1 degree is 17.5 mils).
And in the A-320 it is comfortable enough to enable greaser landings in 30 kt crosswind conditions that cause a 1.25 g bump at 32 ft radio altitude and 2 seconds later a 0.8 g bump at 25 ft RALT.

BOAC #1546.
I agree that flying without any attitude refernce would make the task at hand nigh impossible, but what about Inertial Ref systems 1 and 3?
Somewhere in the endless list of postings I have seen the interpretation that IR2 was reported as failed by, amongst others, IR1 and IR3.
Apparently some (many?) people had interpreted the involved data format of ACARS as a report of failure of IR2 and IR1 and IR3.

Mad Flt Scientist #1563.
I agree with you that the ADIRU parts are the Inertial Reference part and the Air Data part. I do not think that in failure modes the static and dynamic pressure sections of the Air Data part are treated as separate entities. I am not sure about the Angle Of Attack Signal - whether that would also be rejected - have to go back to the books on that one.

By the way, why not throw in a new subject. Isn't it a great coincidence that together with the pitot static failures, another totally unrelated system failed, IR2?
Could it be that, troubleshooting ADR2, by accident ADIRU2 was switched OFF? I always found that a very easy to make error in the A-320.
In everyday life you always manipulate the rotary selector, never the ADR push button, the system is called ADIRS and failure of the Air Data (Computer part) of the ADIRU is annunciated on ECAM as
NAV ADR2 FAULT.
Now that looks very much like ADIRS, which you always manipulate via the rotary selector (with shuts down the IR part).

Edit: corrected the mil specification)