PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly By Wire: Possible "early warnings"
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2009, 00:34
patrickal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the point?

I suspect there isn't any.
Some folks in the IT industry seem to think that their particular expertise is applicable to FBW aircraft types.

These folks are truly....out to lunch, in more ways than one.
My point is that, I don't think we in the IT industry are out to lunch as much as we are not invited to lunch. Although I do not have a commercial pilots license, I do have very good understanding of interaction of people with computer based logic systems. And I do not think many would disagree that it seems that more and more incidents appear to have, at least as part of their cause, a mis-understanding by one or more of the crew on how their interaction (or lack of) with the systems in the aircraft will effect the aircraft and it's controls. There have been many threads on this and other boards here on PPRune discussing the issues of automation in the cockpit. Just in the past several years, the A320 crash in San Paoloi, the Turkish Airline 737 crash in Amsterdam, the recent crash in Buffalo, all have to have at some level either a misunderstanding of how the system is supposed to work or a failure to notice when some indiication is being given. In either case, in my mind, this shows an interface issue.

I think everyone agrees that flying is no longer stick and rudder only. I won't argue if this is a good thing or a bad thing ( although I would rather have a stronger focus on pure flying skills and the training that promotes them.) The crew is tasked with interacting with a complex logic system, both in FBW aircraft, as well as non-FBW which have complex auto-pilot systems. When this interaction breaks down, the results are often tragic. The human factors involved in these breakdowns are not specific to aviation. We have seen them in nuclear power plants, transportation systems, communication systems,etc. It can be any system that controls a large and complex functions. And that is my point. We need more focus on how the human mind reacts to a system that is using some level of logic to make a decision. Too often, in all interactions between humans and computers, the interaction hits a "what is it doing now" moment. And in that moment, the human must determine if the logic in the system has broken down, or they don't understand the logic, or maybe a third or fourth or fifth possibility. The trouble is, in aviation, they usually don't have all that much time.

I am sorry if you think that pilots are the only ones who have any serious input into this discussion. Most of us in the IT industry succeed when we listen to everyone, and try to totally understand what the user requirements are and how the logic systems we are building will support those requirements.
Most of my questions on this board are trying to understand the human interaction level, and how the human mind interperts and anticipates logic systems. It's more than just flying. It's understanding the system and the mind that uses it. And I am sorry, but I don' think you need a commercial pilots license to do so.