PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2009, 22:43
bravoxray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been reading this very informative thread with great interest and as a one time private single engine VFR pilot learned an awful lot . More a passenger now but not a terrified one. Air travel is still statistically very safe IMO compared to other mediums.
Cannot understand the obsession of this low tech ram air pitot tubes as an explanation for this accident. They are basically all the same in principle regardless who manufactured it. How the various computers process the input data is a different ball game.
The accident was surely a sum of various problems, intrinsic and extrinsic.
I do take offense though for even suggesting/insinuating pilot errors in this accident without any shred of evidence. They would not have flown into the center of a CB as very qualified experienced pilots and am sure were aware of past (temporary) icing problems on subject pitot tubes but was not considered a nogo.
I do have a question though for prof. com. pilots. Is there any reason why there are not multiple FDR's and CVR's located in the aeroplane, excluding the cost factor? The weight factor appears to be minimal.
The FDR info, if certain flight/monitoring devices failed, would that not diminish the outputs recorded on the FDR at critical moments?
I apologize if I do sound ignorant.
On the other hand, some of the comments I have seen are so ludricous that would not be surprised to see a recommendation for parachutes for all passengers. Kind of funny at 35 fl. , probably better shape upon impact but still dead.