PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cessna spin
Thread: cessna spin
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2002, 00:30
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Mainframe,

A quick read of the Type Certificate sheet indicates that the 210 models are not approved for spins (for this read = prohibited from intentionally doing).

I don't have a POH to hand for the models quoted but I suspect it will say something similar ... please do correct me if I am wrong ... ?

Very few aircraft are designed to handle the sort of flick manoeuvres which you are describing .. have you ever given any thought to the gyroscopic structural loads on the engine mounts and the forward fuselage .... or the empennage loads .. ?

I shudder to think what your little games have been doing to the particular aircraft fatigue lives ...

Really, I have to suggest that you give CASA an anonymous call on 131757 and have a talk to one of the structures or flight test certification guys in Canberra to discuss the ins and outs of what you are doing ... it might save your life ... or, more importantly, the lives of some unsuspecting crew who find an important bit fall off the aircraft ....

Or is your post just a tongue in cheek wind up ? If you are, indeed, serious it would be a great idea if you posted the registrations so that everyone else could carefully avoid flying in those particular aircraft ...

On a more general note, I support basic aerobatic and spin training quite strongly .. but it should only be done in aircraft for which the loads have been considered in design and for which such manoeuvres have been cleared by flight testing ....

Perhaps John Farley might offer some wise counsel to this chap ... ?

Last edited by john_tullamarine; 20th May 2002 at 00:35.