PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "2 RAF personnel killed in mid-air collision" today
Old 14th Jun 2009, 18:04
Wholigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown the Tutor for 8 years or so, I have to say that I have never found the wearing of the parachute to have any effect on my ability to look out. Tightening the shoulder straps too tight DOES restrict my ability to move around to improve effective lookout. As the aircraft is a very effective "glider" however, I believe that - under most circumstances - I will have sufficient time to tighten my straps if I am going to be forced to land in a field for whatever reason. Therefore I do not feel the need to wear the shoulder straps "too tight".

However, in my opinion, the single most likely reason for Tutors and/or gliders not seeing each other sufficiently early is the fact that a very large number of gliders and all Tutors are WHITE, which is pretty much the worst colour for conspicuity in the conditions that we experience for the majority of our flying in this country.

I am told that it is "not possible" to change the colour of the Tutors, but I have not yet been given a reason for this that I can understand.

Changing "procedures" once more will - again in my opinion - have little or no effect in making the aircraft and/or gliders any more conspicuous.

Short of changing the colour, I have no answer to how we can reduce the likelihood of such occurrences.

I also agree yet again with all those that get peed off with people that make assumptions or throw blame or produce fail-safe solutions, before the Board and the CAA investigation teams have even convened.

So stop it!

Last edited by Wholigan; 14th Jun 2009 at 18:19.