PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "2 RAF personnel killed in mid-air collision" today
Old 14th Jun 2009, 17:24
CirrusF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TM - I know of a QFI and stude who are alive today because they were able to parachute to safety from a Bulldog in 1979 - they lost control underneath a fast-building Cb, I think
There were other Bulldog losses where crew did not get out, and one that I remember where the QFI possible released the wrong harness buckle and fell out of his parachute harness.

Without prejudging what happened today, I do think Tiger_mate raises an interesting argument. Modern VFR light aircraft very rarely suffer structural failure or enter uncontrollable flight regimes - the most likely cause of being forced to bail out is in a mid-air collision. As we have seen recently, maybe better to rely on a good look out to avoid a mid-air than to rely on a parachute.

I occasionally hoof around in a Pitts for fun, and I have stopped strapping on a 'chute because it restricts my visibility too much and also as I am 6'4" I don't think I'd be able to extricate myself from the cockpit anyway.