PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On strike with Ryanair!
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2009, 16:43
Day_Dreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fightback Fred

You hit the nail on the head only once in your last post and i quote "and pass the simulator".

The Sim check looks for the the crew member rather than just the handling skills, and over the last couple of years I have seen on average only 10 to 25% who attend the interviews pass.
It may once have been "can you pay ? Your In" but today the rules have changed and the crop of cadets although reduced through the credit crunch are of a very high standard.
How I know is not for this forum !!

To reach the grade and pass onto line flying the standards set within RYR are high, somewhat higher than many companies, due to the diversity of those employed, several of whom are not native English speakers.

BALPA are today trying to break into Ryanair and other non unionised airlines, not as may be assumed for the good of the employees but for the balance sheets of BALPA itself. (Look at their company cars and pension schemes which the membership pay for)

However BALPA is the only game in town for U.K. based airlines, but RYR is not U.K. based neither do they operate G-registered aircraft.
The employer therefore has no obligation to accept their dealings.
BALPA has asked their BA pilots to reduce their pay by up to £200 per week to avoid redundancies. (Who's T&C's are being eroded now)
Yet RYR are recruiting.

If those of you think a strike will make your point and improve things only have to look at Old King Coal and the miners strike.
Now there is only a shadow of the former UK coal industry.
You may cause some chaos for while but, remember that bills mortgages etc must be paid, and with no income and ultimately no job how long can you survive on your principles.

If our industry is to survive this recession then cost cuts should be negotiated based upon a fixed date for any reductions in the T & C's to be re-instated.