PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2009, 12:10
Captain-Crunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACARs Rosetta Stone Finally Deciphered

Yeah BOAC,

Good point. I recall other bus guys earlier in the thread complaining about repeated failures of that unit (ISIS.) But in this case, I think Professor Ladkin's use of the term "DG" is wrong. Also Ladkin's use of only four digit codes for the ACAR's faults does not seem very accurate to me. Faults are six digit. Warnings only four. For example the 3411 he references is not as descriptive as the actual 341115 which denotes more than just a problem in the Pilot static system; it denotes more specifically that either the heater or the computer that monitors the Airspeed Probe pressure data has faulted.

Also, there is something important that you all need to know. After considerable digging for 24 hrs, I have a fairly good opinion that the France2 TV shots are a SITA reformat of the AOW2 satellite data. That means, as a few sharp minds on pprune have mentioned, that it is just a "leg report" and as such, is TRUNCATED for brevity. My college degree is in computer studies. Still, for some reason, it did not occur to me that the ellipses (...) mean there's more information available than is being displayed. Recall, if you will, that one poster was objecting, a thousand posts or so ago, that the message was incomplete and it did not include pitot 1,2,3 failure language. I feel certain now, because of the ACARs standard conventions which SITA follows, which sends a second set of transmissions to check for errors, that the 0210z to 0214z list is complete with all the message events that were sent for that time period. We can't see specific language to Pitot probe failures, because SITA ommitted them (...) in order to get the warning or fault listed on one line. Greenspinner and others, IIRC, were complaining that we needed the full Aircraft Maintenace Report for AF447, which for whatever reason, was not leaked to FranceTV2, or they decided not to air the final flight maintenance report, or it never made it before breakup.

To Recap:

The screen shots are authentic and complete as far as France2 knows.
They are missing key mention of Pitot triple failure because (...) the program SITA truncates the Sat message for one-line brevity on the leg report only.
The 341115 code is confirmed by our techs here at pprune to be the pitot.

Captain "Ironside" Crunch - out

The above, as all my post are, are just my opinions only.

Last edited by Captain-Crunch; 14th Jun 2009 at 12:51. Reason: RTFQ: ISIS, changed from full report to final flight mtc rpt