PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cessna spin
Thread: cessna spin
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2002, 22:46
Mainframe

Check Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIRBALL Hi, Cessna singles do have sometimes interesting stall spin characteristics. Power-On Landing Config stalls will invariably provoke wing drop and spin / spiral entry. This varies with model and marque within model. The most exciting model that I teach is the Cessna 210L thru N. Try this at a safe height ( only if you are spin training / spin recovery approved ). Set up the following configuration: Landing gear extended, flaps 40 degrees, RPM 2300, Manifold Pressure 17". Maintain level flight and altitude. As the speed decays, be ready to input full right rudder. When the stall is imminent, accelerate it by extra back pressure on the stick. The aircraft will suddenly ( usually promotes a quick " Oh F**K ) flick roll to the left and adopt a spiral or spin entry. Recovery is: IMMEDIATE (remember I said be ready) right rudder, ailerons neutral and stick forward to achieve horizon half way up the windscreen, introducing power as airspeed increases. Average CPL loses 750' feet at first attempt in recovery despite being fully briefed on what to expect, ( time wasted with uttering expletive ?), competency standard asked is 350 height loss and this is normally achieved on 2nd or 3rd attempt. This sequence is taught because the scenario of overshooting base to final ( left turn at about 500' AGL ! ), tightening the turn and a bit of nervous back stick would give similar results to that practiced at 3,500', i.e. 750' height loss or 250' below ground level in an inverted spin! ! ! . With proficiency training you might recover at about 150' if you did overshoot final and tightened up the turn, fixed it immediately and offered the expletive later. The Cessna 206 exhibits similar but more docile behaviour, as does the Cessna 182. I believe 172 and 150/152 are similar but have not provoked them personally. I think there was some reference to this Cessna characteristic in the Australian AOPA magazine some years ago by a contributor. So what you experienced was probably predictable ( you had power ON, Flaps extended). As for some explanation in aerodynamic terms, there are several parameters to consider. The flaps on all Cessna's are slotted Fowler and effective. With the 200 series there is sufficient power for torque induced counterclockwise roll ( maybe on the smaller ones too ? ) The propellor slipstream is spiralling clockwise and at high AoA P effect will contribute to extra lift on the right wing and reduced lift on the left wing, giving assymetric lift ( roll ) . So the torque roll coupled with the assymetric lift roll combine at the stall break. Please dont experiment with this unless qualified * * *