PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Second degree (university), what would be your choice?
Old 14th Jun 2009, 10:46
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that HF has its place in ATC, most definitely. However I along with some other supposed 'narrow-minded' people wonder how effective the department is at times.

At the end of the day when installing operational systems the end users, us ignorant narrow-minded people, are the customers.

Frustration arises when (and it may seem trivial) - seats are bought at great expense for TC and when questioned the answer was 'no one objected to them in the trial' - a statement that was factually incorrect.

Headsets bought that are uncomfortable and not fit for purpose.

No colour display on stack management cameras/displays because it was felt it would 'overwhelm ATCOs' who were moving from WD to Swanwick.

Furthermore, and here is the biggy - what is the HF take on EFPS for TC? A busy environment, with multiple conflictions per aircraft that requires a lot of moving strips manually to highlight the conflictions.

I remember being told by HF that one of the biggest and best aide memoirs for an ATCO was the sensation of physically picking up, handling, and moving a physical strip.

How does that theory (which I fully believe), sit with EFPS? Is anyone from HF bringing this point up? Surely that is what HF is there for - technology for technology's sake is not the way to implement new equipment.

I'd hope HF would put a stopper on things if needed, but it seems that if management want something, it will happen, regardless of what is common sense.

HF does have a place in ATC, but sometimes its readily apparent why people are cynical.