PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I go in for it or not?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2009, 10:32
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Englishal

Quote:
He failed me for that. Said I should have chosen the right spot and then stuck to it.
Hmmm, I was told the opposite.
I would not disagree with either statement, though I prefer to make the right plan first, and stick to it, rather than (changing horses mid stream).

That said, there's no harm in asking an examiner prior to the flight, what they would like to see in respect of decision making, and how they assess changing a plan, when new information becomes apparent, which puts the original decision in question.

I had a [perhaps] similar experience during a flight test (after such a discussion prior to takeoff). During my poorly executed manuever, I recognized changed conditons (wind direction) which neither of us had realized. I pointed this out, and said I'd rather break it off, and set up again. He agreed with my observation, but said to continue. My demonstration was poor, but successful. I asked to demonstrate the manuever again to make a better job of it, but he told me that had been good enough - shame, I wanted to do it again! He gave me undeservidly high marks.

You cannot be critisized for an open discussion with the examiner prior to the flight, as to what the examiner would like to see in certain resects, and how decision making is graded during a flight test. In a way, such a discussion constitutes both a pilot briefing, and crew resource management, both of which are very good things to live by, and demonstrate while flying.

Pilot DAR