PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I go in for it or not?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2009, 17:27
batninth
Oh Shazbat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just finished a mock skills test (Nav Leg went very well as did the diversion and everything else) except the PFLs.
I'll throw my cap into the ring as another who had the same experience with PFLs. Did my practice skills test twice, first time in really rough weather & had two goes but completely messed up both. Then had weather dalays so had to do a second practice 7 weeks later in lovely smooth air but still made a mess of the PFL so went back later in the day solo & practiced several

Englishal
He failed me for that. Said I should have chosen the right spot and then stuck to it.
Hmmm, I was told the opposite. On my first practice skills test I was with a instructor who had come through his licence etc as a student at the same club. I gave a commentary through the whole flight, and when I did the first of the two PFLs I had chosen a field & said something to the effect that having seen a better one I would actually stick with my original choice as I had already decided. At the debrief it was made very clear that if I did that in the test I would be marked down as I could see a safer landing place but stupidly decided against it.

In the actual test I did change my mind on fields, I talked through my thinking as I was selecting, set up for one and in the turn saw a much more suitable site so switched to it.