PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gold Coast Accident?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2009, 12:38
Epiphany

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is what I meant by 'CAT A weights'.

I'm sure you do operate at those restricted weights, but that is presumably because you are operating RPT offshore, are required to adhere to CAT A (PC1) and are taking off from a runway and an elevated helipad with no obstructions. I am talking about PVT/AWK twins which are not required to operate to CAT A and therefore do not.

EMS helicopters here are not required to operate to CAT A simply because they cannot comply and do the job. You cannot take off from a helipad at CAT A weights with fuel, flight crew, medical crew and patient - even VFR. Have a look at CAT A helipad weights and see how restrictive they are. They are found in the CAT A supplement of the flight manual but they are not required for EMS operations and are therefore academic. I'll bet that the only pre-flight planning graphs consulted are the en-route OEI graphs for IFR LSALT.

The limiting factor for EMS helicopters operating from hospital helipads is normally the torque gauge and taking off with a full load at MTOW means that you need to pull 95% to take off. Have an engine failure shortly after rotation from a rooftop helipad in the city in those conditions and you will crash.

Possibly the only EMS machine flying here that could operate to CAT A is the AW139. The rest - forget it.

Last edited by Epiphany; 13th Jun 2009 at 13:32. Reason: Smelling mistakes