PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2009, 11:57
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As deSitter explained,rudder use(if it was used) may have been instinctive or even last-resort.
There has been no feedback whatsoever re what rudder deflection was available in ALT law:
-Ive heard TEN
-Ive heard FOUR(ie last cruise default)
-Could full deflection have been available if CAS was erroneous?

Naturally,one pilot would be PF during unreliable airspeed whilst the other attempts to read the procedure and recommendations.But lets assume this was unreliable airspeed with severe turbulence.The larger the upset becomes,the more likely the PNF would be tempted to input control.There is no control yoke in the Airbus,just 2 sidesticks.They dont "mirror" each other and in any case because of their position/size you,as PNF,wouldnt get an idea of what the PF was doing,even if they did.Fine in normal operations but what about in a full high alt jet upset?The possible "dangers" of the design are proven in x-wind landings(lufthansa 320 incident).Same applies here.

I read that the computer in this situation(control inputs from both pilots) takes the sum of the two inputs and gives the mean(if contradictory) or additive(if complimentary)value.Is this true in ALT LAW as it is in NORMAL?If so,the question now becomes does this design in any way make it more difficult/confusing for a succesful upset recovery(assuming the forces of nature were in fact recoverable on 447)?
You have two pilots with different experience levels and set of skills.One may recognize the importance of "ATT vs speed only" in an upset,the other may give equal importance to ALTITUDE/COURSE (this is an emergency..theyre irrelevant).
If the two minds thinkalike,can it lead to an over-control situation?I understand that G-LOAD protection is still available in ALT LAW?2.5g to -1g??
What about other protections though?
If the two minds are not in sync,the appropiate inputs may get diluted by the inappropiate ones.
The takeover button is supposed to address this "fight for control".Use of the "I have control" button in a x-wind landing by a training skipper is one thing but in a severe high-alt upset,reluctance and hesitation may creep in.

It is interesting to remember that during Egypt Air's suicide flight,the Captain remarked "Pull with me".He knew(because he could plainly see) what the FO was doing at all times.