PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would happen to a Helicopter if it was in space?
Old 13th Jun 2009, 09:12
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I stand by my statement on gyros. As you spun up the various heavier masses with greater rotational moments of inertia things would start coming unglued pretty quickly in 0-g. You would have to start the thing up and allow it to achieve steady state in some kind of anchored system for it not to do so. As soon as a pump started transferring mass within an aircraft's system, you'd have some motion. All these forces are insignificant against the weight and friction of an aircraft on the ground in 1-g.
I see what your saying Um... lifting... , i guess if the machine is just 'out there' unsupported, even with the gyro instruments turned off, when the motor was started the fuselage would rotate opposite to the engine - engage clutch and... perhaps we need to 'start' the Helififtysix thought experiment with rotors at flight revs.

You'd have no aerodynamic effects to speak of until you fired up an engine or two... the engines would provide some degree of thrust depending upon the alignment of the exhausts (whether it's a turbine or a recip) and intake and some kind of impulse motion. While the rotors would again impart some degree of rotational motion as they accelerated, there'd be aerodynamic effects as well... let's just say I'll let you try it first without things being firmly tied in place.
Using the 300 as an example, i'd probably just pull collective (standard atmosphere, just no gravity) and allow drag on the tail rotor and boom to gradually pull the machine into a 'loop' of about one gee - maybe some maneuvers could be done whilst in the loop ?