PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would happen to a Helicopter if it was in space?
Old 13th Jun 2009, 05:39
Um... lifting...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
binghi,
I stand by my statement on gyros. As you spun up the various heavier masses with greater rotational moments of inertia things would start coming unglued pretty quickly in 0-g. You would have to start the thing up and allow it to achieve steady state in some kind of anchored system for it not to do so. As soon as a pump started transferring mass within an aircraft's system, you'd have some motion. All these forces are insignificant against the weight and friction of an aircraft on the ground in 1-g.
You'd have no aerodynamic effects to speak of until you fired up an engine or two... the engines would provide some degree of thrust depending upon the alignment of the exhausts (whether it's a turbine or a recip) and intake and some kind of impulse motion. While the rotors would again impart some degree of rotational motion as they accelerated, there'd be aerodynamic effects as well... let's just say I'll let you try it first without things being firmly tied in place.
There is, somewhere, a video of these guys playing with some gyro binoculars in space (which I can't find) and the internal friction of the gyros eventually leads to the thing precessing like mad about all three axes.
You first.