PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flipping runways in thunderstorm conditions at LHR
Old 12th Jun 2009, 21:08
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would the pilot in question have accepted an "orbit in present position until advised"?!? Doubtful
If they were requesting to avoid the weather for safety reasons then if an orbit was the only option then they should take it. To do otherwise simply shows that the request was not really required in the first place.

And whether you buy it or not, it is a fact...you are responsible for one aircraft whereas the controller is responsible for many.
I am responsible for the consequences of my actions no matter if those actions have an effect on 1 or 100 aircraft or on 1 or a thousand people on the ground.

Hailstones the size of tennis balls ruin glass houses. Think of what solid metal from a CB caused by a controller putting an aircraft inside it would cause.
----------

Fly bhoy,

I don't think that you will find it illegal fro aircraft at the same level to fly closer to each other than 5nm or even 3nm in Class A. Think procedural separation for one example of when it can be done.

----------
Originally Posted by 1985

Just turning is not acceptable
Nor is flying into a CB (ever). That is why we get paid - to make difficult decisions regarding the safety of the aircraft. Simple question - do I fly into the CB (certain danger) or do I turn to avoid (without being able to ask) and have the possible risk of getting closer than the controller would like to another aircraft.

-----------

Del Prado,

Agreed with regard to other traffic. Turning without clearance is not something that I did lightly the option of lossing the wings was not going to be tried.

I know that you don't have any room. The CAA likewise. However, that is a clear "shall" in the CAA's rule book and there is no option to say no!!

There are many rules that can ruin an ATCO's day if they were ever used. Imagine a pilot not being able to avoid weather because it is busy. So they declare an emergency and then impose radio silence on you before broadcasting their intentions at length.

Regards,

DFC