PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2009, 19:53
Oilandgasman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point Sooty655. If multi product pipeline was used then the Distributor has the responsibility to re-test on receipt and issue the appropriate Certificate of Quality before delivery to the end user. I am asuming that these products were separated by pigs. Having used these for years I do not have any confidence that there would be no leakage past them. My own opinion is that Jet A-1 is not really suitable for multi pipeline use. If the multi pipeline deliveries did not use pigs and relied on Operator intervention to separate the fluids on receipt then Pinkman is right to be concerned.
Another problem area is Jet A-1 delivered by ship. I have yet to receive liquids from a Super Tanker or Coaster which did not contain water. We obviously drained this water away on receipt but another source of water contamination if the onshore guys are not switched on. The quality control inspector, either way, is still responsible for delivery of non contaminated Jet A-1.
In the offshore business we still check each fuel delivery to a chopper for water. I have even had a RN pilot asking my Helideck Landing officer why he was holding a syringe up to the cockpit window. When the HLO told him he said they never bothered their Jet A-1 was always water free!!!